If you’re looking for a delicious and unexpected pairing for your next meal, look no further than fried chicken and sparkling wine. This classic comfort food pairs perfectly with the effervescence of a crisp and refreshing glass of bubbly.
At our winery in the heart of the Texas Hill Country, we know a thing or two about pairing wine with food. And while fried chicken may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of wine pairings, we promise that this combination will not disappoint.
Before we dive into the pairing, let’s talk about the recipe. We’ve got a classic southern-style fried chicken recipe that is sure to impress. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk and chicken pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and dredge each piece in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and let it rest on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.
Now that we’ve got our delicious fried chicken, it’s time to talk about the wine pairing. We recommend a dry sparkling wine, such as our 2021 Sirens Brut Estate Rosé. The crisp acidity and bubbles in the wine cut through the richness of the fried chicken, while the citrus and apple notes complement the flavors of the dish.
When pairing wine with food, it’s important to consider the weight and intensity of both the food and the wine. Fried chicken is a hearty and flavorful dish, so it needs a wine that can stand up to it. Sparkling wine is a great choice because it has enough body and flavor to complement the chicken without overwhelming it.
If you’re looking for a fun and unexpected pairing for your next gathering, try fried chicken and sparkling wine. This classic comfort food pairs perfectly with the crisp and refreshing bubbles of a dry sparkling wine. And if you’re ever in Fredericksburg, be sure to stop by our winery and try our Sirens Brut Estate Rosé. Cheers!